Dog carrier purses are the modern, safe way to transport your dog. And whether you need a stylish dog-purse for around town, an airline-approved dog carrier, or a sling-carrier for hiking, you’ll find the perfect item right here!
Before specially designed dog carrier purses hit the market, folks had to improvise with an old shopping bag or cardboard box – and hope their poor pet wouldn’t jump out! It took a while before bag-makers realized dogs need safe and comfortable travel carriers. And a varied range of dog purses, suitable for different situations. But it was worth the wait! Today’s dog carriers/purses are stylish, practical and discrete, keeping small – medium pets comfy wherever you go! Here are 6 of the best-selling dog carriers/purses on the market right now:-
Don’t you just love the trendy blend of smart black and white stripes, with fashionable, leopard-print lining? And antique-bronze handles and trim give an extra touch of class, too. The straps are quite long enough to wear the bag on your shoulder, and short enough to carry by hand.
One side is all mesh for good ventilation, which you can also close with a Velcro fastener. You can also leave the zip on the other side half-open, and let your pet poke his head out, if he likes to see what’s going on. This fashionable, doggy purse is suitable for teacup and tiny pups weighing up to 10 lbs.
- Well-made & stylish – discrete way to take your dog along
- Interior hook for dog lead
- Removable/washable interior pads
- Good top and side ventilation
- Handy storage pockets
- Velcro opening won’t stop a determined pet pushing the purse open
- Not airline approved
This stylish MG Collection dog purse is based on the classic, Chanel quilted purse and blends good-looks and practicality very well. The soft, exterior side-panels panels are easy-clean nylon fabric and the top can be open plastic mesh for ventilation, or covered with the quilted flap for security. Additional air-flow comes from 8 ventilation holes reinforced with metal grommets.
This is a top-loading dog carrier purse, with parallel zips on the top flap, so you can place your pet inside and zip it up quickly. There are two strong 10” top handles, which you can wear over your shoulder or as hand-straps. Four rigid studs under the base add sturdiness and protect the base from dirty floors. Interior dimensions are: 16″ L x7.5″ W x 10.5″ H.
- Two large storage pockets with Velcro fasteners
- Fashionable and safe
- Interior leash hook
- Lightweight but keeps it shape well
- Available in several two-tone colors including purple and aqua-blue.
- The front fastens with Velcro which isn’t as secure as a zip
- Approved by some airlines so you should check – if required for air-trips
- No internal fleece or pee pad
If pure practicality is what you’re looking for, you’ll love this sling-style, dog carrier purse! The sturdy, gray/black and white polka dot fabric is easy-wash, cotton-polyester. It comes in gray, pink and blue fabrics, which are reversible for extra style!
This dog carrier is worn over one shoulder and across the body, with your pet safe and comfy by your hip. It’s a totally hands-free design that’s very popular with pet-parents, as it’s really comfortable to wear. Suitable for dogs up to12 lbs. as a durable, everyday pet carrier bag.
- Completely machine washable in cotton-polyester fabric
- External safety-clip stops dog jumping out
- Reversible so two colors in one
- Soft fabric and good ventilation for dog’s comfort
- Very comfortable for dog-owners to carry hands-free
- The carrying strap isn’t adjustable so it doesn’t fit all heights the same
- There’s no pee pad in this dog carrier, so you have to add your own
- No storage pockets
- Not waterproof for hikers or long walks
If your dog is in the small – medium range and weighs up to 20 lbs, this Retro-Pug brand dog carrier/purse is a great choice. It’s stylish in strong, gray or blue fabric and perfect for owners who enjoy long walks or hiking. Made from top-grade, waterproof fabric for all-weather use, this ‘doggy bag’ keeps tired pets warm and dry.
With a dual safety system of a leash ring and an internal, nylon-mesh, safety net your best buddy will be never jump or fall out. And to prevent any shoulder strain spoiling your fun, this sling has an adjustable strap, so your pet should always rest on your hip.
- Adjustable strap and strap-pad for extra comfort
- Dual safety features keep dog securely inside the bag
- Weatherproof for all-weather protection
- Several storage pockets
- 30-day money back guarantee and lifetime free-replacement warranty
- Not comfortable for smaller dogs around 12 lbs. or less
- No hard surface in the bottom so you may need to add a fleece or towel
- Not deep enough for tall dogs
- Tall people may need a longer strap for a good fit
This deluxe travel dog carrier/bag has a clever spring wire-frame, which you can actually compress down by several inches to fit neatly under any aircraft cabin seat. It has plenty of mesh ventilation, with roll-down flaps. And there’s a choice of side or top entry plus zips with safety locks for total security.
The carrying strap is padded, adjustable and non-slip, showing that user comfort is important to this company. Lined with faux lambskin and with a side pocket for storage, this well-made pet carrier is airline-approved and great for all types of travel. The medium size is designed for pets measuring no more than 16″ L x 10″ H, with a weight below 16 lbs. Available in S, M and L sizes in black, plum, brown and other attractive colors.
- Spring frame gives flexible under-seat capacity
- Excellent ventilation
- Storage pocket
- Faux lambskin lining
- Safety buckles on zips
- Be careful not to get tricked by the copy-cat Sherra brand
- The frame sometimes comes out of the fabric pockets
This well-ventilated, soft-side, dog travel carrier is suitable for taller dogs. It’s made of strong mesh making it lightweight to carry. Mesh sides also allow your pet to see what’s happening around them. It’s designed for a maximum weight of 10 kgs/22lbs, but to ensure you buy the correct size, always measure your dog. This travel carrier measures 19.7” L x 10.2” W x 11.2” H.
Your pet should measure less than these dimensions to ensure it can stand, sit, turn around and lie down comfortably. It has both carrying handles and an adjustable shoulder strap, so different sized owners can get the most comfortable carrying ‘fit’. It’s a popular travel carrier for dogs that’s airline approved and fits under the majority of cabin seats.
- Airline approved size
- Lighter than hard plastic pet carriers
- Machine washable fleece pet bed included
- Quality materials for long-term durability
- Front and top opening helps you put your pet inside
- The top opening is quite narrow
- Doesn’t fit under Virgin America cabin seat (according to a friend of mine)
- Buy a larger size if in any doubt, as users found it smaller than expected
As you can see, there’s a good range of dog carriers to provide your dog with a safe space; whether you’re discretely taking her in to work, for outdoor adventures or for relaxing during air, train or car journeys. So maybe you could use more than one type of dog carrier/purse!